Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Like Father, Like Son


Here are the introductory scenes for a short screen play.

            LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON

         Written by Kevin Massing

SCENE 1
(scene starts out completely dark until a phone lights up. A young man can vaguely be seen getting up and walking over to it)

RYAN:
(looks at phone, sighs. Picks phone up and groans when he see’s the name.)
Hello?
(Listens. Other half of phone call is an inaudible female voice for the duration of the call)

What?
(Rubs fingers over eyes)

No.
(listens)

Do you have any idea what time it is right now?
(girl pleading over the phone)

Well. That’s not my problem.
(listens)

No. Listen, it’s 2:30 right now alright? I have class in six hours and I don’t want to spend one of those hours picking you up from god knows where and taking you home.
(listens)

Oh, come on, I’m sure you have a fall back guy to call.
(listens, becoming agitated)

Oh, right. I’m an asshole. Let’s have that conversation again.
(listens for awhile. 15-20 seconds)

OK. Ok.
(sighs, touches forehead)

Alright. Yes. I’m sorry ok?
(pauses)

Yeah. Where are you again? Ok. I’ll be there in 20 minutes.
(inaudible voice gets shrill)

Alright, alright Jesus. 10 minutes. Ok
(pause)

But listen. Are you listening?
(pause)

You can’t come here tonight alright? You are not coming back here.
(listens)

No, no Taco Towne either alright? I mean it straight to your place.
(listens agitated again)

Ok. Yes. Bye.
(Hangs up, sighs and sits on his bed. Head in hands.)

What the fuck man?
SCENE

SCENE 2: (SAME ROOM)
(Door opens and light shines in from hallway. Ryan and girl walk in. She heads straight for the stereo.)

RYAN:
OK here you go. Claire. Come on leave my stereo alone.
(pauses)
You ok?

Claire nods

RYAN:
Alright well the sheets are clean, there’s water on the dresser and if you need me I’ll be downstairs on the couch.

CLAIRE:
(groans)
I can’t believe I lost my apartment key.

RYAN:
(laughs sarcastically)
Yeah. What are the chances?

CLAIRE:
Ryan?

RYAN:
(says sarcastically)
Yes?

CLAIRE:
(pauses)
I was just thinking, well this is your room after all.
(pause)
I mean, I just feel really bad kicking you out like this.

RYAN:
(chuckles)
Don’t worry about it. Seriously.
Ryan turns to walk away and as he does, Claire creeps up behind him.

CLAIRE:
Ryan?

Ryan looks agitated, turns around

RYAN:
What?

As he turns around she kisses him and closes the door while doing so.
FADE TO:

OPENING CREDITS
(Opening credit’s are accompanied by the song “Pure Morning” by Placebo and a dark scene of Ryan and Claire in bed.)

FADE TO:

SCENE 3:

CAMERA IS FOCUSED ON THE CELL PHONE ON THE BED.

Phone lights up and after a few rings Ryan’s hand slaps it. He groans, sits up an looks at his phone. A text message reads:

FROM: Claire

MESSAGE: Hey. Found my keys this morning! They were in your car! LOL. Thanks for picking me up last night. TTYL  :) Claire

CAMERA FOCUSES ON RYAN’S FACE

Ryan rubs his eyes

RYAN:
(Deep sigh)
Shit..
FADE OUT.


No comments:

Post a Comment